Monday, July 18, 2011

Is it crossroad?

Recently, I have been watching Al Pacino's speech when he won the Academy Award in 1992. He said "I've been very lucky I've found desire for what I do early in my life and have people who encourage that desire."

I also kept Johnny Carson's farewell statement on final Tonight Show. He said "I am one of the lucky people in the world, I found something I always wanted to do, and I have enjoyed every single minute of it."

Steve Jobs also said the same thing. He gave a speech at Stanford Commencement, he said "I was lucky I found what I loved to do early in life... Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle."

They got me thinking about my life too, about what my desire is. I have to admit that being a software engineer was not my desire (there was no kid back in 1990s in my school who wanted to be a software engineer I suppose, we usually want to be doctor, pilot, president, etc :p). Software engineering was popular when I was at high school, computers and cellphones were becoming trend back in old days (I'm feeling so old when writing this hahaha...). I then chose to enter Informatics because I want to learn more about computer science. I knew I love math and science, and because I knew that the basic of computer is math logical expression, I thought it shouldn't be a big deal. But I realize it is not my desire to be a software engineer.

I know that great people are them who always follow their hearth and do what they love because you have to love what you do to be great. I wonder if Al Pacino, Steve Jobs, or Johnny Carson ever came to this point of life, at the searching point of their desire. Anyway, what ever it is I am now, all I know is that I always have passion in learning anything new. I always do the best for my job. I learn many new Java frameworks. I love writing and sharing thought and knowledge with others, and I still hope someday I will find what my desire is, either it is in IT field or something else.

0 comments:

 

©2009 Stay the Same | by TNB